Just over a week ago, on Friday, Dan and I got some groceries from the store. Along with the
rest of the food we picked up, we git a small cantaloup. When Dan
saw it, he protested, and went to switch it for a different (larger)
one. They were all small. Still not completely happy, he put it in
the cart.
You
and Emily can share it for breakfast, I said.
I
can it it for breakfast, he countered. There isn't enough for two.
The
cantaloup was small, but it was still a pound or two of fruit.
You
can each have a reasonable sized serving for breakfast, I insisted.
We
got home, and per usual, Dan brings in most of the groceries while I
put them away. I tucked the cantaloup into the fridge in the bottom
shelf, above the full produce drawers, between the eggs and the
bread.
The
next day, I was in the kitchen, and Emily wanted food. She pulled
open the door to the fridge, and saw the cantaloup.
I
should probably insert a couple comments here. First, Emily loves
cantaloup, but they are usually at least twice as big, and it had
been a while since we had gotten one. Second, Dan had just watched a
cut short film with Emily a couple days before. The short film was
about the characters from "How to Train Your Dragon," in
which the dragons all fly off to their hatching grounds and have
eggs. Round eggs. Rough on the outside. Maybe a little like a
cantaloup.
"A
dinosaur egg!" Emily exclaimed, and lovingly grabbed the
cantaloup. Another comment: she also loved to watch a show about a boy who sees
dinosaurs. Sometimes they have eggs.
Over the next couple days she
varied whether it was a dinosaur egg or a dragon egg. I asked her
what kind of dinosaur was inside (since she'd seen lots of different
dinosaurs on TV). She told me it was a baby dinosaur.
I
let her carry the egg around, because, really, what could happen to
it? Plus, I don't really like cantaloup.
That
afternoon we went on an expedition with Emily's cousins, her Aunt,
Dan's parents, and his Grandma. We took two cars. The dragon egg
came, too.
We
ventured out to find ponies at the local state park, and ride them if
possible. Failing at that, we went to the playground at different
park. Emily had fallen asleep sometime in our quest, but still held
her egg, nestled in her lap.
The
egg also joined us when we went to church the next day. It got to
wait in the car during services, but Emily carried it along when we
stopped to visit Tabitha afterward. By this point it had acquired a nice metal
"nest" (by which I mean a bowl which I had forgotten at the Memorial Day breakfast
the week before). Emily (okay, with some encouragement) told Tabitha
about her egg. Then she ran off with her cousin, ultimately to pick
peonies from one of the nearby graves. Dan stopped them after they
both got one, but Emily was headed back for another.
On
the way home from church we asked Emily what kind of dragon was in
her egg. (It was definitely a dragon by now.). Dan and Emily settled
on a pink dragon, with spots. I glared at him about the spots part.
Because I had started scheming, and I didn't have polka-dot pink
fabric in my stash.
At
home she toted her egg around some more, until Dan convinced her that
it should go back in the fridge. I should interject another comment:
Dan and I had both reminded her that the egg was, in fact, a
cantaloup, and it was going to get eaten. Dan in particular was
adamant about the eating part. He is very fond of cantaloup. It
was one of the reasons I had started scheming on the way home, because he was insisting on eating the cantaloup, and she so obviously loved it.
At
home I drafted a pattern, and got to work. I took time off to have
Sunday dinner in the afternoon, but besides that I spent most of the day sewing.
Just
before I finished my project, I got Emily to get her egg out again.
It would hatch soon, I assured her. We found a spot where she
and her cousin could wait. I hurried back inside to finish. Fifteen
minutes later I woke Dan up from his late afternoon nap, wrapped up
the project in a towel, and went back to where I had left Emily. It
was raining, she was gone, and so was the egg. Further searching
found them in GranB's truck while Pappy got ready for our trip the
next day. The egg was tucked up on our stuff in the garage. We
collected both the egg and the girls, and found a spot to watch it
hatch.
![]() |
| This fuzzy picture is of Emily drying off her egg. |
The
egg was wet, so we rubbed it dry. First Emily tried, but the egg
didn't hatch. Then I tried (and using some of my superior sneaky
skills) and it hatched.
Emily
was delighted, and shocked. It isn't often that pretend eggs give
you real dragons.
Just
so you know, she loves it.






Who wouldn't love that?! It's childhood magic at its very best.
ReplyDeleteA purple dragon from a cantaloupe. You are an amazing mother, so clever, so creative. Your family is blessed.
ReplyDeleteThat is the cutest story ever. You are an awesome Mommy.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun mom you are! I love it!
ReplyDeleteJill loves her dragon. :)
ReplyDelete