Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Play kitchen

Do you like to play in the kitchen?

Ever have something tasty baking in the oven?

This summer I saw a post on one of the blogs I read, about a play kitchen the blogger had made for her child.  She had got the idea from the blog, Out of the Crayon Box, which has several lessons on how to convert an old nightstand into a play kitchen.  Once I saw the suggestion to buy a nightstand from craigslist for next to nothing, I was sold.

I got my dad, my father-in-law, Phil, and Dan to help me transform the nightstand.  Out of the Crayon Box does maintain that this project can be completed without the help of menfolk, but I'm six months pregnant, and can't paint with house paint.  And I didn't want to use any power tools.  So I got some help.

There were a few things that I changed from the instructions on Out of the Crayon Box.  Some of the things we changed were that I used wooden wheels (I found at JoAnn Fabrics) instead of plastic lids for the knobs.  I figured they would hold up better, and they weren't too much.  Also, we used a magnetic latch instead of Velcro to hold the oven door closed.  And I believe that Out of the Crayon Box also talks about a method to hold the oven door flat when it is opened, and Emily's flops open as far as it can go.  But on discussing it with her grandpas, we decided it was better if she didn't have a shelf she could climb onto, and then tip the whole thing over.

Which turned out to be a wise decision, because Emily had other plans for the oven.


2 comments:

  1. It is so cool! I really like how big it is. And it seems so durable! Jill will have a lot of fun playing with Emily and her kitchen whenever we get to visit. :) What great grandpas Emily has! And a creative, thoughtful mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for the pictures! It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete